This part of the website is where you can find up-to-date news and reports.
On Saturday 28 April eight members of Stroud Civic Society were given a hard hat tour of Stroud Congregational Church, led by Darren and Richard of Splitlath Building, a firm which specialises in restoring historic structures.
(Click any picture to enlarge it)
The Grade II* Listed Building is being restored and made safe using grant aid from the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Gloucestershire Historic Churches Trust.
Some history: Designed by Charles Baker of Painswick, the building’s foundation stone was laid by Samuel Marling on 8 June 1835 and opened on the 27 September 1837. Further galleries were added in the 1850s and and three apse window openings were sealed to accommodate the organ loft. In 1889 other chapel windows were re-glazed in coloured glass, and in 1919 the pews were altered, electric lighting fitted and a First World War memorial tablet erected. Further renovation and repair work took place in 1870, 1875, 1888, 1897 and 1929. In recent years a lift has been installed, the cupola replaced, the church hall refurbished and a stair lift installed in the stair tower.
Our tour and the ongoing restoration works: We had been instructed to wear walking shoes and wear gloves, and, after we had been dressed in our PPE – personal protective equipment – of hard hats and hi-viz jackets, the eight of us were taken outside to the rear of the building, where Darren and Richard explained that Splitlath had been contracted to take out eight old windows and refit eight new ones, as well as checking for blown stonework and pointing.
As they carried out their work, they passed on to the architect any items they discovered which they felt needed or would need attention, but could themselves only carry out the work they had been contracted for as set out in the specification.
The windows taken out had been made from soft wood, much of which was rotten, and were being replaced by Entandrophragma cylindricum, commonly known as Sapele, a hard wood from a tree native to tropical Africa. Hard wood has been chosen for these very large windows in order to cut down on future maintenance.
We climbed up the first ladder attached to the scaffolding and stood by the first window we came to. It was explained to us that what we had thought was one window was in fact four sections bolted together, each of which was lifted in position by a hoist. If the window had been one entire window it would have required a crane to lift it. Each window mirrors another window of coloured glass on the inside of the building, thus effectively creating a secondary glazed window.
After the sections are bolted together to make the one window, the glass is inserted, putty and glazing tape added, and then, 10 days later, the glazing bars are painted; the ten day wait is to ensure that the putty is hard enough to take the paint without any problems. At the back of the sections joins, there is a strip of plyboard to stop any damage should there be penetration by rain at some future date.
We climbed further ladders to the top of the building, almost level with the lantern on top of the cupola. At this level we could touch the plastic guttering and look at the ugly and very heavy interlocking concrete roof tiles, which have replaced what was probably a much lighter-weight slate roof. It is obvious that there is damage to the felt and there has been some water staining to the stone.
Once we returned to ground level, we went inside the building to see the work Splitlath have carried out to the rotunda staircase which is a staircase entrance to the chapel from Bedford Street. They have replastered the wall and added a new stair rail to parts.
From the stair turret we went into the chapel, which is an incredible part of the building. Please can I impress upon members of the Society, and their friends, if they have never seen this chapel, please make an effort to do so. It is a Stroud jewel.
At the end of the tour we went downstairs to the church hall where Kay, the caretaker and other members of the congregation were waiting to serve us tea, coffee and biscuits, and to get us to fill in the inevitable feedback form.
The whole event was a superb tour and we can’t thank Darren and Richard enough for giving up their Saturday afternoon, as well as thanking the members of the congregation who were kindness personified. They are trying to get the building known to the people of Stroud. The light and airy church hall is a really good location for talks and suchlike and, besides being well equipped, is very reasonably priced for hire; there is a further small room, the Jubilee Room which contains a small kitchen and which is suitable for smaller meetings, again very reasonably priced for hire.
An inspiring talk was given to Stroud Civic Society on Thursday 5th April by Dame Fiona Reynolds: ”The Fight for Beauty: Our Path to a Better Future”
Juliet Shipman, Chairwoman of the Stroud Civic Society, secured yet another fine venue that entailed Members and friends driving beside banks of primroses, newly ploughed fields and greening trees before walking across to Syde Manor’s Tythe Barn.
Under the roof of this splendidly converted barn our speaker began her passionate defence of the word ‘Beauty’. After a career working for the countryside it was a word never used by politicians or planners, whose talk is of biodiversity, ecosystem services, natural capital and sustainable development – all words that centre on economy and measured values.
Yet the notion of ‘beauty’ is recognised, Dame Fiona added, as endemic to humankind’s well being from Geoffrey Chaucer’s celebration of Spring in ‘Engelond’: ‘Whan that Aprile with his shoures sweet [in] the younge sonne’, to John Ruskin writing of ‘the real meaning of the word Beautiful [as] turn[ing] the human soul from gazing upon itself.’ Indeed Ruskin’s vision, as our Speaker, Director General of The National Trust until 2012, added, was part of the latter’s Act which was established to preserve ‘lands…( including buildings) of beauty or historical interest.’
Dame Fiona moved us on to sympathise with George Cruikshank’s etchings entitled ‘London Going out of Town or the March of Bricks and Mortar’ (1829). However, it was a woman, Octavia Hill, who had inspired her most. Appalled by the sight of ragged children in London she started teaching children, and walking them out in the countryside to look for beauty. Ideas about protecting the countryside, keeping homes healthy and building for the future burgeoned until the First World War put a stop to them.
However, battles continued to be fought, for example Patrick Abercrombe’s pamphlet ‘The Preservation of Rural England’ sparked the creation of The Council for the Preservation of Rural England in 1926, which vowed to protect England from ‘the lack of planning and the poor quality of much of what was built.’ The National Trust too feared the replacing of ‘Old Beauty’ with ‘modern ugliness’.
Sadly, Dame Fiona felt that from ‘then on the road was pretty much downhill’. However, she felt Michael Gove’s recent calls for views on a plastic bottle deposit return scheme were hopeful. Awful though, were her lists of hedge and common insect losses. Battles over coast lines, mayhem caused by roads which follow the cheapest route regardless of sites of special scientific interest or local needs. ‘No-one cares’, she added, it’s all driven by money which means planning is the most important policy we have. However, it is not about saying ‘No!’, but she has fought for years to oppose the idea that the default answer is ‘Yes!’ ‘That’s awful, she added, there needs to be a balance; we want intelligent planning.’ Cambridge, Dame Fiona feels, shows urban flats can be beautiful. Newcastle city centre too and more locally Cirencester. GDP must not be the Holy Grail. Dame Fiona drew her talk to a close with mention of her pamphlet ’50 things to do before you’re 11 3/4′ adding that children only care about what they experience and habits are engrained by the age of 7.
Guided by Juliet Shipman, many questions followed,, showing that Dame Fiona’s fire had seriously inflamed her audience. Tim Mars while thanking her taking a near quote from Wilde said he ‘felt like a man lying in the gutter looking at the stars’, I suspect many of us shared his feeling.
A report on our event in Cirencester Church on 7th March, when Dr Steven Blake presented his talk on Gloucestershire’s Medieval Churches.
Cirencester Parish Church, founded around 1120, made a perfect backcloth for Dr Blake’s talk. As members of the Civic Society and visitors entered the church, eyes swept the huge space, over to the magnificent organ and on up to the fan vaulting. One couldn’t help wondering, as the warm all-round glow of underfloor heating greeted us on an icy evening, what the clothier financiers and churchgoers originally in charge of this fine medieval town church would think. Dr Blake drew gasps from his 21st century audience when he added that maintaining this magical building now costs £8,500 a day!
We settled quickly with a comforting glass of wine, as our speaker’s first slide sprang up – a church near the west bank of the Severn 12th century Staunton Church, one of many less familiar churches that would appear, crystal clear on the church’s large screen. Next came Pauntley and Ruardean – the latter with its wonderful Tympanum carving of St George and the Dragon on the south door. Another tympanum, this time showing the tree of life, at Dymock, and many more wonderful sculptures in the area were, Dr Blake, noted, ample proof of a Cotswold school of sculpture, most probably with Dymock at its centre.
This idea of an an artistic centre in the Cotswolds seemed increasingly likely as we moved on to marvel at nearby 12th century Kempley Church with its 13th century tower, and its stunning 12th and 14th century wall paintings. Dr Blake then moved on to the glorious churches of the Cotswold high plateau and river vales. Outstanding for Dr Blake was Elkstone Church’s Norman corbel table with its carved heads, centaur and griffin and its font carved with virtues and vices. All treasures indeed.
These glorious depictions of scenes from the bible, represent, as Dr Blake called them, the poor man’s Bible for largely illiterate people. Even today, how better illustrate the ideas, say behind Christopher Marlowe’s play ”Doctor Faustus”, than to show students an illustration from Fairford Church’s medieval windows of a hideous Demon with evil glowing eyes, torn, twisted teeth and bloody gums, with terrified people falling into hell! All these rich images reveal a rich feast of largely anonymous artists’ work, offered most notably to the glory of God.
Dr Blake moved us on to wonderful visions of churches and their striking towers, all points of navigation in the landscape. Owlpen Church and Manor appeared in a painterly image of buildings encased in striking stretches of carved topiary green. Very similar was Lasborough Manor and St. Mary’s Church, also surrounded on every side by green woodlands.
After questions had been invited and answered, Tim Mars chose to make a dignified ascent heavenward to give his vote of thanks from the medieval pulpit, very fittingly a rare and finely-worked wine glass design, to much humorous applause.
We left carrying Dr Blake’s list of favourite medieval churches. Many of us, no doubt, already set on visiting one or two of those tucked away, as yet, undiscovered treasures.
And we all agreed that our Chairwoman Juliet Shipman had excelled herself in organising the event.
Back in July we reported on the shop front controversy in Stroud High Street, where Fone Revive had erected a new shop front inappropriate to the Conservation Area, without permission. They had applied for retrospective planning permission but this was turned down. You can read our views on this on our news posting here: http://stroudcivicsociety.co.uk/wp/?p=3693
The good news is that Fone Revive have now removed the inappropriate frontage and have re-used the original shop front that was hidden behind. You can see before and after pictures below:
Before (new shop front put up without planning permission):
After (following refusal of retrospective planning permission, so now using the original design again):
Tomorrow, Saturday March 17th, there will be a public consultation on the proposal from Stroud Town Council to run the Subscription Rooms. The consultation is from 10am until 12 noon on Saturday March 17th in the George Room at the Subscription Rooms.
District council staff and elected councillors will be on hand to answer questions. Members of the Task and Finish Group and representatives from Stroud Town Council will be at this event.
A summary of Stroud Town Council’s offer can be found here. https://www.stroud.gov.uk/…/appendix-1-summary-of-stroud-to…
After the public consultation, the Task and Finish Group will review the offer and the public consultation response, before making a recommendation to the council’s Strategy and Resources Committee meeting on Thursday 12th April.
The process started in October 2016 when all political parties at Stroud District Council agreed to a review of the Subscription Rooms because it is no longer able to afford to continue to run the 184-year-old venue.
An all-party task and finish group was set up to investigate possible options and the freehold of Stroud Subscription Rooms and the associated forecourt was advertised for sale in July 2017. However, after the council listened to public concerns about selling it, it was withdrawn from sale in December 2017 and bids were invited from prospective tenants instead to run the venue for public arts, community use and entertainment. Offers from community organisations, individuals and companies were sought by the council for a lease of around 30 years.
The deadline for offers closed on 5th March. Only one offer was received—from Stroud Town Council. https://www.stroud.gov.uk/…/proposal-received-for-stroud-su…
A report on our February 2018 event on ‘The Country Houses of Warwickshire 1660 – 1830’ given by Geoffrey Tyack.
The favourite was definitely red as members and friends of Stroud Civic Society entered the Old Town Hall, removed gloves and chose their glass of wine. Our speaker waited sympathetically while everyone unwound thick coats and scarves, exclaimed about the bitter cold outside, sipped their wine and finally settled.
With a slide photograph of grey stone-built medieval Warwick Castle and Warwick’s timber-framed Market House on the screen beside him, Geoffrey Tyack explained that from an early age he had been fascinated by Warwickshire, its landscapes, its castles and country houses. It had taken years, however, before he had finally come to research and write about them.
Our speaker’s chosen houses ranged in size from Warwick Castle through to monastic conversions like Arbury Hall (whose owner re-modelled the chapel with a highly decorated plaster ceiling), and Stoneleigh Abbey, with, as recorded in the 1660s, 70 hearths. By the 1670s further ‘improvements’ began – the quotation from Jane Austen’s novel ‘Mansfield Park’ reminds us of the demand for domestic comfort to impress prospective suitors for the daughters and sons of the houses. But the Earl of Warwick led the way with the first and best French-inspired ‘great apartment’ ever seen in a Warwickshire country house.
At Stoneleigh Abbey (where Jane Austen was a frequent visitor) the fifth Lord Leigh decorated the entrance hall (the saloon) with magnificent Rococo plasterwork depicting, for example, six of the Labours of Hercules; he also planned rows of Corinthian columns, a new library and music room. These however, never materialised, since sadly he went mad in 1767 and all work on the house ceased.
Mirroring alterations to the houses came transformations of older formal gardens with the fashioning of irregularly sided pools, ruins, an orangery – perhaps a rotunda or a new cascade for the lake. Inevitably fashions continued to change but the most exciting innovations took place at Arbury Hall. The re-modelling of the house began in 1750 and continued for over 50 years. These major works resulted in the most impressive eighteenth century gothic house in England, With a grand Saloon, the most elaborate room in the house, inspired by the roof of Henry V11’s Chapel at Westminster Abbey. Equally striking is the Hall with three Gothic arches with a plaster fan vault rather like the cloister of Gloucester Cathedral. Even Lady Newdigate’s dressing room was ‘fitted up Gothic’.
An hour later our colourful journey round and through Warwickshire landscapes and their country houses ended and after questions and a vote of thanks by Tim Mars, small groups formed to urge our Secretary Juliet Shipman to please organise trips to see some of these wonderful houses!
So, why not join Stroud Civic Society and enjoy a Summer Programme of visits to spectacular castles, churches, houses and gardens on every kind.
Stroud District Council have recently announced an 8 week consultation period on A Heritage Strategy for Stroud District. The Civic Society will be submitting views – and we would encourage everyone interested in Stroud to do so too.
The document, subtitled ‘Valuing our historic environment and assets’, is to become Supplementary Planning Advice, so it is essential to get all views on board!
You can take part between Thursday 13th July and Friday 15th September 2017. Details are in the downloadable pdf document available from the SDC website HERE.
SDC are particularly interested in;
- whether the priorities and big issues identified within the document are the right things to focus on;
- what options exist for tackling them;
- any practical or financial implications; and
- whether there are other options or opportunities that have been missed.
There is no structured consultation questionnaire – views can be sent by email, letter, or a response proforma from the website. Full details are in the first few pages of the document.
Updated to add: Stroud Civic Society will be responding to this document and would be pleased to incorporate any comments members may have on this issue in their reply. Comments should be sent by post to our Chairman, Juliet Shipman at Apartment B, Field House, Field House Gardens, Stroud, Glos GL5 2JX or email firstname.lastname@example.org in time for us to respond before the end of the consultation period on 15th September.
The Society recently objected to a retrospective application by the owner of Fone Revive in Stroud High Street. The business had recently completely remodelled the shop front with plastic fascias, out of keeping with the town centre and at odds with Conservation Area policy. The business owner had not applied for planning permission beforehand and so was applying retrospectively.
The Society’s objection is set out below:
The Civic Society wishes to object to these applications. Both Stroud Town Council and the District Council have produced guidelines for shopfront design and these applications do not appear to be in accordance with either document.
The colour of the shopfront is garish and disruptive, the lurid bright green and orange do not blend in with the pastel or heritage colours as recommended in contributing to the character of the area.
The materials: The shopfront is made of shiny plastic which appears incongruous amongst the wooden shop fronts of nearby shops. The SDC guide recommends wood plus stone and/or brick
The Fascia: This should carry only the shops name and not be used for advertising, further there is advertising down the sides of the shop which is not acceptable. STC guide recommends painted fascia with traditional sign writing.
Corporate image: The national shops in the High Street, Vodafone, Millets and Superdrug have all modified their corporate shop designs to fit into the conservation area.
Finally Mr Turner suggests he will close his business if further changes are required but he is missing the point, attractive shop fronts attract shoppers, a cheap plastic shop front says this is a cheap down-market town. Stroud deserves better!
On 17th July SDC refused consent – on the grounds that
The signage by virtue of its design and synthetic materials appears as visually intrusive, incongruous and as an inappropriate feature within the street scene causing undue harm to the character and appearance of the Stroud Town Centre (Extension 2008) Conservation Area. The illuminated signage is therefore contrary to paragraph 137 of the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF), Policy ES10 of the adopted Stroud District Local Planning, November 2015 and policy ZP1a of the Stroud Town Centre Neighbourhood Development Plan (Adopted).
UPDATE: MARCH 2018 The original shopfront has now been restored – see our brief report at http://stroudcivicsociety.co.uk/wp/?p=4154
At the end of a narrow lane, nestling under beech woods, lies Owlpen Manor and its church. It was a perfect day for our guided tour of the house and garden by the owner (since 1974), Sir Nicholas Mander.
Sir Nicholas came out to meet us after we had picnicked under the shade of umbrellas looking over to the gardens. He took us to the top of the garden where we had a clear view of the architecture of the house. United under three gables were the three phases of development, an east service wing of 15th century origin (with Georgian windows inserted later), a 16th century hall and the west wing with its wonderful storeyed bay window and a date stone of 1616.
He then swiftly led us inside while telling us the story of the rescue of the house from near collapse by Norman Jewson. Sir Nicholas went on to form a close friendship with Norman and the contents of the house reveal his enthusiasm for the Arts and Crafts movement.
Of special interest is the high backed settle by Sydney Barnsley which comes from Ernest Gimson’s own cottage at Pinbury and was bequeathed to Owlpen by Norman Jewson. Among the textiles, furniture, prints and plasterwork is a very fine steel grille by Alfred Bucknall.
The Mander family were great collectors and all sorts of treasures have found their way to Owlpen, including family portraits, 18th century embroideries, prints , books and porcelain. Outstanding too are the watercolour paintings of the house, done mainly between 1890 and 1933. These reveal the wonderful picturesque qualities of the interior with its low beams, leaded lights and elegant Georgian panelling, all enhanced with a rich collection of colourful rugs, cushions, tiles and textiles.
A memorable visit to a house which has been so much admired over the years while a series of caring owners have preserved what H.J.Massingham called ‘this rare cotswold treasure‘.
An account of our meeting on Thursday 31st March, written by Sue Houseago.
Stroud Civic Society’s meeting on the 31st March in the Old Town Hall began with the AGM, which marks the end of its winter talks. Most auspiciously the last was to be about ‘Canals in the Landscape’ and was given by Tony Conder who set up the National Waterways Museum in Gloucestershire in 1988. As Stroudwater Navigation’s restoration project is in full swing, Tony’s talk of canals, their construction, and the resulting changes to the landscape, seemed particularly relevant.
Juliet Shipman welcomed us all to the AGM, creating delighted laughter, when she announced that because of her house move she had very simply lost all her papers for the meeting! She did, however, say farewell to Guy Williams, praising him warmly for his work as Membership Secretary, and for being a willing, hard-working committee member. Amid clapping Juliet presented him with a box of wine.
She passed us on then to Tim Mars who, it turned out had produced an on-line pictorial ‘fly by’ of a year in the lives of Civic Society Members. His choice of colourful photographs evoked memories of splendid trips.- a Christmas ‘do’ at Tyntesfield; Swindon to see the building designed by Norman Foster for Renault in 1982; a trip to view St. Mary’s Church, Brownshill, to have a lecture on its splendid stained glass.
After enjoying our glasses of wine Tony Conder began his talk on ‘Canals in the Landscape’, explaining the physical challenges that canals presented to their engineers, and how these industrial constructions changed our countryside. Canals, as Tony showed us on a map, meander over all kinds of diverse landscapes and can get round most obstructions. The heart of the system is in the Black Country, and it was fascinating to see how canal engineers worked to adapt to the geography and geology of each area.
The Bridgewater Canal – named after its owner – the third Duke of Bridgewater – opened in 1761, and revolutionised transport by cheapening the cost of coal as factories appeared alongside it. We saw the moveable aqueduct which carries the Bridgewater Canal along to the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, which has itself a staircase of locks. Norton Priory’s canal had to run through a lake in a Capability Brown landscape. We saw slides of castellations, spiral staircases – bridges above ground and tunnels below ground. Other large industrial industries followed the canals; Stourbridge, for example, had potteries and 20 famous glassworks, thus shops, houses and people began to settle around canals, and in the 1970’s canal towpaths began to be used for leisure activities.
Tony ended his fascinating talk dramatically, saying very simply that canals, having altered the landscape in so many ways, were rendered useless by the arrival of the railways in the 1870s.
Questions, and warm thanks followed, and I think every member of the audience felt a renewed respect for Stroudwater Navigation’s history and an added pleasure in watching its restoration.
P.S. Sadly the Cotswold Canals Trust’s recent Heritage Lottery bid for funding has not been successful. However a new and revised application will be submitted – for more information on this news click here.